In the religious world, that is, among those who look to Jesus as the Savior and the Bible as God’s word, there is a debate about baptism. Is it necessary? What is its purpose? How is it done? And so on.
This article will focus on why should one be baptized?
1. Because Jesus said it is essential to discipleship (Matt. 28:19, 20).
2. Because Jesus said that believe and baptism leads to salvation (Mk. 16:16).
3. Because Peter, by inspiration, said that repentance and baptism leads to the remission of sins (Acts 2:38).
4. Because Ananias, by inspiration, said that one must be baptized to wash away his sins (Acts 22:16).
5. Because Paul, by inspiration, wrote that baptism puts one into Christ (Rom. 6:3, 4; Gal. 3:26, 27).
6. Because Paul, by inspiration, wrote that baptism is the circumcision of Christ; it cuts off our body of sins (Col. 2:11, 12).
7. Because Peter, by inspiration, said baptism saves us (1 Pet. 3:21).
While we might have a deeper discussion and additional passages, these should suffice to show why we need to be baptized. To ignore such passages is to be willfully blind to the prominence and importance placed on baptism in the New Testament. That it is essential to one that seeks to please God seems apparent. There should be no debate. However, some have been misled by certain teachers.
All we plead with you to do is look into the Bible and examine it with an open mind. Ask yourself, if the above and similar passages do not teach the necessity of baptism, then what do they teach about it?
Additional Passages To Consider
- Acts 8:5-13
- Acts 8:36-39
- Acts 16:11-15
- Acts 16:25-34
- Acts 19:1-5